Tax Registration With HMRC

If you’ve just started out as a Freelancer or Sole Trader, you will definitely need an accountant. There are a lot of options available. Unfortunately a large proportion of accountants may charge you every time you get in contact with them; for every phone call, email or meeting.

Our aim is make out clients feel comfortable about speaking to us and not being on a stop clock. In the beginning you will have a lot of questions and will feel content knowing that you can contact your accountant as many times as you like without being on a timer and waiting for a large bill.

Sole Traders must register with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and follow certain rules and criteria on running and naming their business.

Here Are Some Of The Services We Offer To Contractors, Self Employed & Freelancers:


End of Year Accounts

Payroll Management

Company Formation

Business Plan and Advice

Self employed status

If you are a sole trader, you are running your own business as a one man.or woman band. This is known as being ‘self-employed’. You can keep all your business’ profits after you’ve paid tax on them.
You can take on staff – ‘sole trader’ means you’re responsible for the business, not that you have to work alone.

Register for self assessment

You must register for self assessment with the HMRC as soon as you can after starting your business. This is something that we can help you with.

Your Responsibilities

You’re responsible for:

Naming your business

You can use your own name or trade under a business name. There are rules on using a business name. For example, you can’t:

You must include your own name and business name (if you have one) on any official paperwork, like invoices and letters.


At IB&Co Accountants we specialise in completing the registration with the HMRC for Sole Traders as we can avoid you incurring a fine of up to £1,000 with an on-going fine (of up to £100 per day) as a result of not complying with the rules.

For more information and advice on how to complete a registration with HMRC contact us at or call us on 02078594472.

Request a Call Back or Book a Free Consultation

We take the time to get to know you and your business during the initial consultation, enabling us to customize a service specifically for you. To get started, simply click the button and complete the form on the booking page. We will then contact you to discuss how we can further assist you and your business.

Scroll to Top